The audiovisual sector is very labour intensive. According to our calculations, EUR 1 million of funds for an audiovisual production can employ 55 man-years. In 2022, AVEK handed out EUR 1.9 million paid from the national budget for the compensation for private copying and distributed funds for a total of 136 works.
Of the funds we distributed, EUR 1.6 million was paid to the enterprises of the sector with various productions. 60% of a film’s production costs is made up of labour costs, while the rest 40% consists of services or goods subject to value-added tax.
In the productions funded by AVEK, the domestic fund – usually containing AVEK`s, the Finnish Film Foundation´s and Yle´s funds – makes up about 85% of the total production budget. The annual joint budget of the productions funded by AVEK is EUR 6.4 million, of which at least 15% comes from the private sector.
On an annual level, on average, EUR 2 million distributed by AVEK for the audiovisual sector produces
- more than 100 man-years,
- for the state 40% of the amount of the funds as a withholding tax, pension and side costs and value-added tax for services and goods acquired by the productions, as well as
- EUR 1 million, on average, of private and domestic money for productions outside of public financing annually.
AVEK in numbers
In the history of AVEK, reaching back over 35 years,
- we have funded enterprises and authors of the audiovisual sector with about EUR 70 million in total with the compensation for private copying
- we have supported the making of more than 3,000 films or other audiovisual work
- via our support, we have enabled 3,500 man-years
- EUR 28 million of the funds we have received has returned to the state in the form of withholding tax, pension and side costs and value-added tax for services and goods acquired by the productions
- we supported the making of 136 works
- we made 119 positive decisions on our distributed funds for internationalisation, education and events
- we distributed EUR 1.9 million in compensation for private copying
- we granted the AVEK Award, worth EUR 15,000, to media artist and filmmaker Azar Sayar.