The agreement between the rector`s Conference of Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences Arene, Universities FINLAND UNIFI and Kopiosto applies to professional specialisation education and continuing education arraged by universities and other education institutions themselves. Independent companies and other arrangers of continuing education can acquire a copying licence directly from us.
The agreement with UNIFI and Arene does not apply to
- copies that are charged from the students, such as handouts,
- continuing education by other than the higher education institution itself (e.g. an independent company),
- education organised by summer universities
Higher education institutions, education service providers and departments need to acquire a separate copying licence from Kopiosto for such copying and education purposes.
What does our copying licence enable?
Our copying licence enables the student, lecturer, teachers and other staff members of educational institutions to produce copies.
Our copying licence enables the student at the higher education institution, lecturer, teachers and other staff members of educational institutions to produce copies.
- excerpts from Finnish and foreign publications, such as books, newspapers, magazines, scholarly publications, sheet music and other printed publications, and
- freely available online images or photos and texts, such as online newspaper or magazine articles, digital publications, reports and excerpts from e-books.
Our copying licence enables producing copies of digital publications from certain American publishers, such as scientific journals. The American publishers included within the scope of our licence can be found in the Copyright Clearance Center list. Possible restrictions can be found in the Copyright Clearance Center service.
Our copying licence enables
- photocopying and scanning excerpts from printed publications
- saving, downloading and printing online images or photos and texts.
The following types of using copies are allowed:
- distributing copies to the students participating in a course or a research group in paper form or as print-outs,
- attaching them to your own teaching material or the study, exercise and project materials of students,
- saving them on a closed course platform to be made available to the participants of the course or a research group,
- sending them to the students participating in the course or a research group by email,
- using them in translation and adaptation exercises in lessons, and
- using them for research purposes, such as data mining.
Copies of sheet music can be used in teaching or events with free admission organised by a higher education institution, where the audience consists mainly of the students of the institution, their families and the institution’s staff.
Sheet music for choirs, bands and orchestras may only be copied for the purposes of teaching music theory and research.
The copies can be made available to the students participating in the course on the institution’s closed course platform or a similar closed network for the duration of the course or a similar study unit, including exams.
However, you may retain the copies you have produced if you want to use them again later. Self-made teaching material that includes images or other material attached to it with our copying licence can be stored on the institution’s closed network so that other members of the staff can also access it.
Our copying licence enables you to collect course material on a closed course platform by copying and scanning Finnish and foreign scientific articles and excerpts from various publications.
You can record teaching situations or lessons and include the works used in the lesson, such as excerpts from books, in the recording. You may stream the video recording to other premises or make it available to the students participating in the course on a closed course platform.
Our copying licence also enables the limited adjusting and modifying of text, images or photos in order to illustrate a certain topic while teaching. For example, you can practice translating text to another language or modifying an image or add highlights or notes to a text, image or photo to illustrate the subject of the teaching situation.
Remember to respect the author’s moral rights when modifying material. The right to make adaptations and translations does not apply to musical works or published learning material. Modified material cannot be distributed online.
Remember to provide the source and the author
When you copy or use works, remember to include the names of the author and the work according to the proper manner.
Help us distribute remunerations
Information about the copying and use of works is required to distribute remunerations collected from copying to copyright holders. You can report digital copies scanned and produced by you in our Reporting service. We also perform regular copying sample surveys.